Taste and plating are two of the qualities we usually look for food. In the newly opened Movida Fashion Food + Club, these attributes were given emphasis as they serve aesthetic dishes also pleasing to the palate.
Overall Theme and Concept of Movida
Movida opened last January 15 in the former location of “A Long Time Ago” at 5050, P. Burgos Street, Poblacion, Makati.
Since its opening, people are already noticing the resto-bar due to its theme and flavors. As the name suggests, Movida Fashion Food + Club is a place of “movement” (Movida is a Spanish term for movement). It is evident in the lively and energetic colors of yellow and red accents from chairs to chandeliers. The rustic touch from the carefully chosen modern designed interior shows a laidback atmosphere, cozy for any occasion.
The meaning behind its name does not stop from the décor. Movida Fashion Food + Club’s concept also comes from being a restaurant by day and a club at night. One of the restaurant owners, Ido Gurevich, shared that the establishment opens at 11pm and serves Asian, Mediterranean and Western food. Coffees and slushies can also be ordered by people visiting to have their snacks and lunch. However, when 9pm comes, menu changes in-lined with the “club vibe.” Their night operation is more of offering drinks while enjoying light snacks.
Day or night, Movida can cater 100 persons. At night, as much as this number can enjoy the live bands and DJ performances organized by the resto.
Food and Plating
The lively mood of Movida Fashion Food + Club also reflects in the food they serve. The dishes cooked are both colorful and flavorful while served in an equally attractive plate or bowl. This makes it appetizing for most consumers.
Meanwhile, Movida is not all about the façade. The menu ranges from Asian to the Mediterranean to Western. Gurevich claimed that they go with the trend. Thus, menu changes from time to time. Some of the food they serve are as follows:
Patatas Bravas P355
- This is one of their famous tapas. The dish is made of cut potatoes fried in oil and garnished with seeds and herbs. Patatas Bravas looks classy and is a delicious appetizer.
- The seafood shrimp was elevated both in flavor and presentation in Movida’s garlic butter shrimp. The natural taste of shrimp was enhanced by the garlic, while the butter added texture and creaminess to it. Overall, this small bowl of garlic butter shrimp is enough to make my colleagues’ mouth watery.
- A more intricate touch to the famous Spanish tapas is the beef salpicao. Expectedly, the beef is cooked perfectly while it bathes in oil. The seasonings included in the bowl of beef salpicao makes the menu even more appealing. For first-timers, this is a must-try!
Chicken Fingers P344
- A unique twist to the poultry meat is the chicken fingers. What’s amazing with this dish is the technique in creating the batter mixed with beer. Due to this, the meat is tender and flavorful. It is not crunchy, which is normal to any chicken finger, but the beer-batter savage the whole experience.
- other sophisticated way to try chicken in Movida is through their quesadilla. .
Lamb Chops P885
A colorful and classy main dish that won our hearts and tummy is Movida’s lamb chops. The cuts and cook on the lamb show skill. It is tender and delicious. The amount of sauce is just enough, not too overpowering but definitely not lacking.
- If you haven’t tried smoked salad yet, Movida is the perfect place to do it. The meal is made with fresh vegetables and salmon, which blends beautifully with the seasoning. It is an ideal meal for the health-conscious.
Salmon Tataki P415
- Try salmon the other way through their tataki. For its price, you’ll get a new experience of how salmon is prepared. The protein is cut beautifully, which is a plus for me. I tried this along with other tatakis, and this is the first among the batch that initially registered in my palate.
Dragon Roll P420
- feisty as it sounds, this dragon roll is deliciously hot. The seafood inside compliments all other ingredients. I love how you can get the “shrimp tang” from every bite of the dragon roll. Considering that it is a bit pricy compared to other sushi’s we tried in the Metro, Modiva’s equally represent the quality of its price.
Fully Loaded Nachos P415
- As an appetizer or as a snack, the fully loaded nachos is money well-spent. It is literally overloaded with condiments and all. We enjoyed eating our plate of nachos. It tastes very European, in my opinion.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich P395
- If looking for a fantastic snack, you should try their grilled cheese sandwich. The sandwich is loaded with cream cheese and spices. They use Swiss and cheddar cheese. It is also accompanied by a dip and fries. The sandwich is a plus for me, since it is a milk bread, it definitely adds creaminess to the taste buds.
- This meal is spread and palate cleansers are partying in a plate. The variety of spreads to choose from is overwhelming, which, I think, are different kinds of ham and luncheon meat. There are vegetables, too, which is nice and healthy.
Tuna Hosomaki P290
- This classic type of sushi is also a good buy. The portion of tuna from each roll is quite generous. It looked like tiny pinkish cubes wrapped in chewy rice. We bet they will taste better if paired with a cream or wasabi.
Avocado Hosomaki P270
- I have tried avocado hosomaki from other restaurants, and I can say Movida’s version also tastes great. The hosomaki is tightly rolled so you can eat the whole thing in one bite. This lets us experience the entire flavors of the avocado hosomaki.
Salmon Avocado Hosomaki P315
Accompanied by salmon, avocado hosomaki excites the palate more. The “seafood-y” taste of the fish compliments well with the creamy avocado. We like this more than the avocado hosomaki for those reasons.
Spicy Tuna Roll P370
- other sushi I love is the spicy tuna roll. It has a fresh portion of the tuna meat on the inside and is topped with a spicy condiment. The spiciness gave us the thrill and punch in every bite.
California Roll P380
California roll is one of the types of sushi I love seeing on the food table. They look vibrant and appetizing.
Salmon Tartare P455
- . Since I love sushi, I do not mind eating another raw meal such as this. It is seasoned thoroughly, so I think first-timers can easily cope up. This cake-looking dish made with fresh salmon is worth a try.
Tuna Nigiri P180
- another nice way to try tuna is through Movida’s tuna nigiri. You’ll get a nice slice of tuna topped in vinegared rice. It looked like a piece of meat resting and waiting for a bite.
Salmon Nigiri P190
- The yellowish flesh of salmon lies beautifully on a small amount of rolled rice. Just like the tuna variation, salmon nigiri is equally appetizing.
Tuna Tataki with Truffle Cream P435
- This is one of my favorites because I love the sear on the tuna. As always, I was amazed by how delicate the slices are. On top of that, the truffle cream elevated the taste due to its creamy and earthy flavor.
Salmon Tataki with Truffle Cream P455
- Same with the tuna tataki, this dish nailed the tender I look for tatakis. The truffle cream is really good and makes everything elegant on the plate. You taste more than what you see, in fact.
Tamago Sashimi P195
- We made sure we try this one since we ate a lot of salmon and tuna dishes. It was a right decision because the Tamago tastes different and authentic. On the other hand, some of my colleagues think it was kind of ordinary since it is literally egg sushi. It was a nice dish for me.
- We tried another tuna preparation in the restaurant’s sashimi section. The cuts in their sashimi are larger, as anticipated, and it looks really inviting. This goes with all the rest of their sushi meals. I like it more when dipped in soy sauce or wasabi.
Salmon Sashimi P395
- We should not miss the sashimi version of salmon. If you like fish this much, eating salmon sashimi in Movida’s is a great decision. You get nice slices of the protein in a simple but elegant plate
Spicy Tuna and Salmon Salad P387
- This meal features a shredded version of tuna sitting in a green salad. If you love herbs and still wanted to eat fish, then you should try this one.
Tuna Avocado Salad P390
- One of the salads I adore is this. The salad has the right amount of greens and tuna. No ingredient overpowers the other. This is perfect for light meals. I will still order this if I’ll be back in Movida.
- An enjoyable way to eat pastry and savory meal are through their beef pot pie. We are all talking about how delicious this dish is. Not to mention that the pastry is well-baked, and the meat inside is beefy. The creamy mashed potato served with it is to be admired as well.
Grilled Salmon P695
- Movida offers grilled salmon, too. It rests nicely on top of sautéed vegetables and cream of your choice.
Baked Lasagna P420
- We tried their classic approach to the baked lasagna. It was amazing! It deserves being at the main course menu as eating the meal is satisfying. We got overwhelmed with the creaminess of the cheese.
Truffle Mushroom Fettuccine P395
- This Italian meal also secured a place in our hearts (and our belly). We love how the truffle mushroom gave its original earthy umami taste. We are dying to have this again on our next visit to Movida.
Two hungry bestfriends looking for their next adventure. We do travel x food x lifestyle features.
Follow us on IG: @hungrytravelduo
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org